Website Barnes & Noble, Inc.
Our ideal candidate will be someone who is steeped in the body, mind, and spiritual world, who is not afraid to explore the esoteric realm, and is on top of the trends in the market in our core subjects and product lines. We are looking for someone with strong communication and time management skills, as well as attention to detail, and who can work within a team structure.
- Conceptualize and generate creative and innovative designs for covers & interiors of established series, kits and decks, and original standalone titles for the Sterling Ethos imprint
- Oversees all stages of preparation including file preparation, color correction, and reviewing proofs.
- Maintains ongoing communications and schedules with the Editorial and Production departments to ensure timely execution and follow through from manuscript to bound book for all projects.
- Attends weekly status and design meetings.
- Researches and oversees freelance illustrators and designers when required.
- Stays abreast of changes in publishing industry, design trends, and new techniques that will improve the efficiency and creativity
- Ensures that the designs fulfill Sterling Ethos’s high standards, represent the brand in the market, and push the envelope in both concept and execution.
- Collaborates closely with Ethos editorial team to develop thoughtful, market-appropriate designs for covers and interiors.
- Works closely with the Art Director to maintain the highest quality of design and production standards while keeping on track with deadlines.
- 4-year college degree preferably in Graphic Design, or equivalent work experience
- Proficient in InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, and Acrobat
- An interest in magical and mystical publishing, tarot cards, wicca and pagan spiritualism; experience designing products for these areas a plus
- Detailed knowledge of pre-press requirements for print: manufacturing process, proofing, and color correction.
- Experience in kit/deck packaging, from concept to mechanical
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize.
- Minimum 5-7 years design experience in book publishing
- Experience designing both covers and interiors
- Experience hiring and overseeing illustrators, negotiating rates, and rights usage
Company: Barnes & Noble, Inc.
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Union Square, New York, US
Application Deadline: N/A