The key role of an Engineering Specialist is that of an experienced individual contributor to projects or assignments that are sufficiently large and complex as to often be shared with one or two other engineers and/or technologists.
- Technical leadership skills are essential. Though the focus of the job is technical contribution, project management skills may be required.
- Impact of decisions made by this position may be far-reaching, to include the project team or immediate work group, division and/or business unit, suppliers, internal and external customers, and Caterpillar markets.
- Decisions may significantly impact: product performance, durability, reliability, quality, and serviceability; warranty; total cost of non-quality; patents; products or processes; technology; costs; sales; and customer perceptions, as well as how technology is applied.
- In addition to demonstrating technical expertise, a person in this position may be called on to act as a team and/or project leader. But major focus is on technical delivery.
- Major challenges facing incumbents are keeping up-to-date with technology, developing increased technical breadth and/or depth of one’s own specialty, being very innovative yet able to convert concepts to reality, beginning to think strategically, and paying attention to business needs.
- Responsibilities of this position demand that the incumbent understand complex technical problems and demonstrate the ability to develop creative solutions.
- Direct work with other units, suppliers, customers, dealers and teams require the incumbent demonstrate skill in negotiation, building consensus and achieving compromise.
- This position will be accountable for identification, analysis and resolution of needs and problems in discipline for which the incumbent is gaining a reputation as an expert.
- Success factors for the Engineering Specialist are strong communication skills, an understanding of customers’ needs and product and process application, and ability to manage priorities.
- Must have ability to communicate technical information effectively with team members and others in the work group, as well employees in other units, customers, and suppliers.
- Requires a Bachelors degree in an accredited Engineering, Computer Science, or Materials Science curriculum plus 8-12 years of Engineering experience or a Masters degree in an Engineering, Computer Science, or Materials Science curriculum plus 4-6 years of engineering experience
- Incumbents must have demonstrated excellent analytical skills and have an extensive understanding of complex engineering concepts and applications.
- Requires a self-starter with strong technical leadership skills.
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Chillicothe, IL, US
Application Deadline: N/A