As Value Chain Designer at Caterpillar, you will ensure linkage and drive efficiency between product value stream teams and end-to-end value chains. This role impacts customers by 1) Improving Quality, 2) Availability and 3) Price (through cost). This role will lead projects that deliver Design for X (assembly, service, manufacturability, shipping, logistics, modularity, etc.) both as part of NPI programs and as stand along projects.
- Contribute to development and implementation of modularity, build to shippable configuration, and direct ship solutions, including leadership for some projects in these portfolios.
- Actively collaborating with engineering, manufacturing, purchasing, and supply chain to create and analyze current or proposed designs to improve those designs for value chain effectiveness.
- Lead Value Chain projects to lean out the chain for improved safety, quality, velocity, and cost.
- Being able to communicate rationale for providing tough design critique in a diplomatic, values-based manner that will enable process partners to learn value chain principles.
- Being an integral part of the product development team, engaging early while designs are still open to modification, to provide Value Chain input into product and process designs.
- Drive Value Chain improvements through New Product Introduction (NPI), Continuous Product Improvement (CPI), Source Change, and related activities.
- Experience with 6 Sigma, especially as 6 Sigma or CPS Black Belt
- Bachelor’s degree in Operations Research, Engineering, Supply Chain, Industrial Engineering, or related quantitative field.
- Knowledge of product development & New Product Introduction (NPI) processes, including releasing processes
- Understanding of the Caterpillar organization, products and manufacturing processes, including Lean, factory transformations, and manufacturing engineering
- 5+ years of Supply Chain, Cost Reduction, Operations, Manufacturing Engineering, Quality, Engineering, experience or related field.
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Decatur, IL, US
Application Deadline: N/A