Website City of Houston
The Counselor position at the Houston Health Department – Area Agency on Aging interviews, counsels, screens and assesses clients for social services for older adults who reside in Harris County and as needed make referrals to other social service partners in the City of Houston Metropolitan Area.
- Provides information to consumers who require financial assistance
- Solid background in providing and coordinating services for people with complex problems
- Responds to consumers’ questions received over the phone, face-to-face or through mail
- Other duties as assigned by Houston Health Department and Harris County Area Agency on Aging
- Prepares written records of correspondents with consumers and inputs information into the client management system
- Collects data, resources and information to assist consumers over the phone and face-to-face
- Maintains client records ensuring data is included for effective follow-up and required reports
- Two (2) years of professional experience in counseling or related social services work are required.
- Requires a Bachelor’s degree in a social or behavioral science, such as Sociology, Psychology, Social Work or Counseling.
- A Master’s degree in a social or behavioral science may be substituted for the experience requirement.
- The most competitive candidates will have prior experience working for stakeholder groups in Community Based Organizations, Faith-based Organizations, Non-profit Organizations, Foundations, and School Districts as well as the community at large (public/elected officials)
Excellent oral communication skills and ability to facilitate and work with diverse groups.
- Work requires the direct application of a variety of procedures, policies and/or precedents. Moderate analytic ability is required in applying guidelines, policies and procedures, and in adapting standard methods to fit facts and conditions.
- Excellent written skills to develop and complete reports.
Company: City of Houston
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Houston, TX, US
Application Deadline: N/A