Website City of Houston
Plans, designs, conducts and coordinates epidemiological investigations of disease and bioterrorism-related activities. Implements and evaluates disease surveillance, control, and intervention activities. May report to either Epidemiologist Manager or Epidemiologist Supervisor, depending on area of expertise.
- Conducts research and reviews of pertinent literature, writes formal reports, and submits study and surveillance data to relevant national periodicals for publication.
- Collects, evaluates and analyzes data from investigations and surveillances. Presents findings and compiles reports for review by the supervisor and manager.
- Performs other duties and special projects as assigned by supervisor.
- Conducts investigations into the mitigation of clusters, outbreaks and other unusual expressions of disease.
- Conducts routine investigations of COVID-19 related cases and contacts
- Interviews patients/clients, and contacts medical providers.
- Collects and transports biological specimens, and abstracts medical records.
- Conducts field investigations and surveillance of disease and bioterrorism related activities and is available twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week to respond to suspected outbreaks.
- Represents the Epidemiology Bureau in meetings and communications with committees, task forces, assigned facilities and other organizations to encourage timely disease reporting and promote other interests of the Bureau/Department.
- Analyzes trend indicators of potential emergency public health events.
- Conducts routine investigations of communicable diseases, such as HIV, sexually transmitted diseases or bioterrorism-related activities under surveillance.
- Bachelor’s degree in Public Health or a related field with progressively responsible professional experience in public health or health care and two years of experience in applied epidemiology or disease investigation or reporting may be substituted for the educational requirement.
- No experience is required with Master’s degree in Epidemiology or in Public Health with emphasis in Epidemiology or related biological, medical or public health fields.
- Requires a Master’s degree in Epidemiology or in Public Health with emphasis in Epidemiology or related biological, medical or public health fields.
Company: City of Houston
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Houston, TX, US
Application Deadline: N/A