Website City of Houston
The Houston Health Department (HHD) seeks a Senior Public Health Investigator in the Bureau of HIV/STD & Viral Hepatitis Prevention to serve on our dynamic STD/DIS Team. This position requires applied expertise in client centered interviews, field investigation and other field-based activities.
- Provides transportation to clients for any clinic follow-up appointments as needed. Performs reminder calls and recalls for missed appointments to ensure appointments are maintained.
- Performs field investigations to locate patients who have or are suspected of having a communicable disease and motivates them to seek appropriate treatment and medical follow-up
- Visits private and public clinical laboratories to assure compliance with reporting City of Houston labs timely in respect to laboratory reporting laws and regulations.
- Conducts confidential interviews and investigations of patients diagnosed with or suspected of being at high-risk for HIV and/or STD infections.
- Administer HIV testing via oral/blood and give results as needed. Perform Syphilis venipuncture sticks whenever possible if necessary.
- Protects, maintains and ensures client confidentiality according to HIPPA regulations and other HHD policies and procedures according to work classification.
- Requires a valid Texas driver’s license and compliance with the City of Houston’s policy on driving.
- Requires the ability to make coordinated gross motor movements in response to changing external stimuli within moderately demanding tolerances; or the ability to make coordinating eye/hand movements on a patterned response space within low tolerance demands with no real speed requirements. Field activity is required.
- Being able to get in and out of your vehicle many times a day is necessary. Able to work in varies temperatures while in the field.
- Requires a Bachelor’s degree in Social Sciences, Physical Sciences, Public Health or a closely related field.
- One (1) year of experience in the public health field is required.
- Pertinent professional experience in the public health field may be substituted for the above educational requirement on a year-for-year basis.
Company: City of Houston
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Houston, TX, US
Application Deadline: N/A