Website City of Houston
The Houston Emergency Center assists citizens of Houston with the most efficient, accurate and professional service when processing emergency calls by taking care of each citizen, one call at a time. We are seeking qualified individuals who are interested in a dynamic career and share the same passion and commitment in being the first responder when a citizen calls. The successful candidate responds to citizens’ requests for emergency services by determining the type of problem and transferring the 9-1-1 telephone calls to the appropriate agencies.
- Interacts with a variety of people functioning under various emotional states to manage interpersonal conflicts, obtain or give information, give aid or to provide service.
- Sufficient cognitive skills (i.e., intelligence, concentration, and memory) such that the employee is mentally alert, able to discern subtle cues of impending danger, and make rational decisions at a reasonable speed
- Remains calm, composed, undistracted and in full control of cognitive abilities while functioning appropriately in stressful situations.
- Physically locates 9-1-1 telephone calls and identifies vehicles’ locations using the geographic display (MapStar).
- Multi-tasks between and operates various electronic telephone equipment, i.e., Vesta 9-1-1 and Cisco Telephone Systems. Uses equipment to receive and transfer incoming calls, to replay calls for clarification and to process hearing impaired calls using a TDD device.
- Recognizes critical situations and alerts supervisor on complicated and unusual situations.
- Determines the nature and priority of the emergency and assists callers in a professional and efficient manner.
- Gathers appropriate information in interactions and documents information accurately as provided.
- Enters essential call and location information into Window’s Operating System and various applications of the Vesta 9-1-1 System to view and retrieve information efficiently.
- Answers 9-1-1 emergency telephone calls from citizens or agencies for Police, Fire and Emergency Medical Services in a timely manner.
- Maintain composure and exercise restraint when verbally provoked in hostile or violent interactions.
- Refers calls to City departments other than Police and Fire and outside governmental, social or community agencies.
- Maintains rational cognitive/decision-making ability and emotional self-control in situations or interactions that are personally offensive (cases of child abuse, child molestation, sexual assault, extreme trauma or death, etc.) or which involve considerable stress or hostility.
- Must provide certification of successful completion of or complete within one year of employment a telecommunications training program in compliance with the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE) guidelines.
- One (1) year of experience in a high volume telephone or customer service environment or a high stress environment is required.
- Requires a high school diploma or a GED. Must pass City administered tests.
Company: City of Houston
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Houston, TX, US
Application Deadline: N/A