An opportunity has arisen in the Belfast Markets Legal Department for a legal counsel/legal negotiator role to support the negotiation of certain cross-product client agreements for Citi’s Markets business in Citi’s Institutional Clients Group – specifically this will be non-ISDA/GMRA based documentation: primarily the Markets Terms of Business.
- Working closely with lawyers in other regions in ensuring global consistency of the documentation whilst addressing regional differences.
- Interpret key commercial concepts applicable to the relevant template agreements ((Transition Management Agreements, NDAs, Terms of Business, Research Agreements and other relevant documentation) and incorporate such into EMEA specific documentation, reflecting the necessary regulatory and/or jurisdictional changes where required (relevant governing law and jurisdiction clauses, data privacy, FCA handbook, etc.).
- Apply in-depth understanding of how key legal risks differ depending on product and documentation envisaged in relevant jurisdiction(s) and advise the internal stakeholders (Risk and Business) accordingly.
- Ensure Citi’s internal policies and regulatory guidance are followed, and where deviations are necessary, ensure appropriate
- Risk/Business/other approvals are obtained.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of process improvements, through liaising with internal stakeholders such as Technology,
- Risk, Client Risk Facilitation, Client Onboarding, Regulatory Reform, CVA, Operations and Legal.
- Develop and maintain up-to-date playbook and other negotiation processes and manuals.
- Negotiating/reviewing legal agreements with internal/external clients to reach agreement on the contents of the relevant product/commercial documentation, through telephonic or electronic negotiation.
- Close liaison with internal businesses/Product Legal/internal stakeholders in risk/tax/compliance in connection with the negotiation of the relevant documentation in the relevant business area. Convey strong commercial awareness and understanding of the relevant business’s priorities by ensuring prioritisation of file load is aligned with overall goals.
- Working knowledge of PC operating systems, particularly Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Ability to communicate effectively (written & verbal) at all organisational levels with internal business partners and external clients.
- Experience in using tech tools in Legal would be beneficial (drafting tools, workflow tools) and focus on efficiency and productivity improvements is essential.
- Awareness of key regulations (MIFID II, GDPR).
- Awareness of contractual interpretation and key commercial contractual principles, .
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills.
- Experience of working in a legal/financial service organisation preferable.
- Experience in negotiation of financial markets trading or product agreements is preferable, or some previous experience of negotiating commercial contracts as a minimum.
- Ability to effectively project manage and organise own workload meeting key milestones.
- Strong attention to detail and high levels of accuracy.
- Proven track record in delivering results in a challenging and changing environment.
- ISDA/derivatives experience, banking, capital markets, funds distribution or securitisations background would be beneficial.
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
Application Deadline: N/A