As a Mechatronics Engineer III you will be working for JPL’s Spacecraft Mechanical Engineering Section, which is responsible for the architecture of mechanical engineering designs and solutions that enable unprecedented missions and science acquisition.
- Lead a team of designers to develop detailed hardware fabrication drawings.
- Lead a team of engineers and analysts to ensure that the design meets structural and functional requirements.
- Conduct sub-assembly level preliminary and detailed design reviews.
- Develop assembly instructions and oversee a team that will assemble spaceflight hardware.
- Design a first-of-its-kind system that pulls from many disciplines of mechanical and mechatronics engineering requiring creativity, problem solving, and technical expertise.
- As a team lead, be accountable for team results including performance, budget and schedule
- Partner with other engineers and project personnel to design and develop mechanical subsystem level architectures.
- Conduct critical design and analysis and lead assembly and test of mechanical assemblies
- Develop robust test campaigns to ensure the hardware is sound and ready for flight.
- Extensive understanding and wide application of advanced principles, theories, concepts and techniques in solving mechanical engineering problems, performing trade studies, developing requirements, designing piece-parts and mechanical systems, and providing oversight to the fabrication, assembly, and qualification of spacecraft flight hardware resulting in mission success.
- Stress analysis and working knowledge of FEM/FEA software
- Proven leadership skills and the ability to direct daily activities of a medium sized team
- Demonstrated experience working with various engineering disciplines as the focal point for information dissemination and interpretation.
- Working knowledge of NX or other equivalent CAD tool
- Knowledge of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T)
- Experience with robotic systems that interact with unstructured environments
- Project management experience in leading the scoping, costing, and scheduling of engineering products.
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Pasadena, CA, US
Application Deadline: N/A