Website State of Maryland
As a member of the DPSCS team, you can have a fulfilling career, while also enjoying a wide range of benefits such as medical and dental coverage, paid time off (i.e. vacation, sick leave), becoming vested in the State pension, supplemental retirement options, and even joining the Maryland State Employees Credit Union.
- Employees in this classification receive close supervision from a Correctional Maintenance Officer Supervisor.
- Employees are subject to call-in during emergencies and staffing shortages.
- Work is performed in and around a correctional facility, and employees are continually exposed to inmates who may be abusive and hostile and have access to potentially dangerous tools and equipment.
- When assigned to outside maintenance jobs, employees are exposed to all types of weather conditions.
- Employees may be required to physically subdue and restrain inmates during fights, riots and escape attempts.
- The work may require moving objects weighing over 25 pounds
- Employees in this classification may be assigned duties which require the disposing or servicing of air-conditioning and refrigeration equipment.
- Employees assigned such duties will be required to possess technician certification from an approved Environmental Protection Agency certifying organization as required by Section 608 of the Federal Clean Air Act.
- Selection standards for Correctional Officer certification are established by the Maryland Correctional Training Commission in accordance with Correctional Services Article, Section 8-209 of the Annotated Code of Maryland. These selection criteria are listed in detail in the Code of Maryland Regulations Title 12, Subtitle 10, Chapter 01 and include the following:
- Employees in this classification may be assigned duties which require the operation of a motor vehicle. Employees assigned such duties will be required to possess a motor vehicle operator’s license valid in the State of Maryland prior to permanent appointment.
- Employees who have not already done so must complete and successfully pass the Entrance Level Correctional Training Course required for the Maryland Correctional Training Commission certificate during the probationary period.
- Some positions in this classification may require employees to acquire the appropriate Maryland driver’s license to operate motor vehicles for the transportation of inmates or supplies.
Company: State of Maryland
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Maryland, United States
Application Deadline: N/A