Website Ministry of Justice
As a Senior Developer you will work with a wide range of stakeholders such as user researchers, product managers, designers, business analysts, content specialists, delivery managers and digital architects, all of whom share a vision for making better government through smarter use of technology. You will innovate to radically transform public services for the better.
- Plan the development on sets of related stories and coordinate integration tasks across systems. Contribute to selection of the software development approach (plan-driven, iterative/agile etc.) for projects.
- Identify process optimisation opportunities with guidance and support activities to improve the development process. Choose the most appropriate from a variety of methods of prototyping, actively solicit prototypes with others.
- Design systems characterised by medium levels of risk, impact, and business or technical complexity. Take designs through the required governance. Review designs of others to ensure the selection of appropriate technology, efficient use of resources and integration of multiple systems and technology.
- Identify, record and escalate tech debt and medium-level risks.
- Constantly seek to learn and further develop your skills as required for your role. Monitor changes in the tech stack you use and alert on any major changes affecting our software. Adhere to industry’s best practices, produce well-engineered modern products and guide others to do so in a highly competently manner.
- Ensure that products are secure, engineered to mitigate security threats and have the necessary security controls in place. Ensure that information is handled with confidentiality and integrity, and that products are compliant. Identify and raise risks and support Information Assurance activities.
- Define the integration build. Coordinate build activities across systems and undertake and support integration testing activities.
- Define, analyse, plan, forecast, measure, maintain and improve all aspects of the availability of services. Control and manage service availability to meet the needs of the business in a cost-effective manner.
- This includes managing the capability, functionality and sustainability of service components (for example, hardware, software, network resources and software/infrastructure as a service).
- Support and maintain software as required, including in the live environment. Use modern tools to effectively and thoroughly identify, troubleshoot and fix faults. Package and deploy software built. Some activities may be outside the core office hours (in-line with the organisation’s policy for OOH).
- Write, amend, refactor and document code to build complex programs/scripts, and as required leading on these activities. Adhere to internal process and procedures, promoting and advising others which software development standards/processes/procedures apply.
- Experience of working with modern tools (docker, k8s, infrastructure as code) and techniques
- You hold yourself and others to a high standard
- You thrive when you work as part of a team
- You are looking for new technical and leadership challenges
- You will also want to make a positive impact on the communities we serve
- Sound knowledge in a wide range of technologies and libraries used in an enterprise, such as logging and monitoring, ORM, authentication/authorisation, cloud hosting environments, systems integration, source control, package management etc.
- An understanding of common security issues and how to mitigate them
- Sound knowledge in Java for development of enterprise and public facing applications
- You enjoy learning and helping others
- Experience of mentoring, coaching or leading other developers (at work or in meetups etc)
- Sound knowledge of HTTP, at least one web development framework (for example Spring or Jersey) and Angular (React or Vue.js may be considered)
- Sound knowledge of at least one RDBMS (PostgreSQL or similar), XML and JSON
- You solve problems in a systematic way
Company: Ministry of Justice
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: London, England, UK
Application Deadline: N/A