As a Mechanical Systems Engineer II you will be working for JPL’s Spacecraft Mechanical Engineering Section, which is responsible for the architecture of mechanical engineering designs and solutions that enable unprecedented missions and science acquisition.
- Provide technical leadership for small teams of support engineers, designers, and structural analysts.
- Design a first-of-its-kind system that pulls from many disciplines of mechanical engineering requiring creativity, problem solving, and technical expertise.
- Perform design and analysis, generate and maintain engineering documentation, and participate in the build and delivery of mechanical engineering products for spaceflight missions.
- Work independently and under the direction of the group supervisor, project management, and technical leads.
- Support and present at team, line management, and subsystem level technical reviews.
- Develop assembly instructions and support a team that will assemble spaceflight hardware.
- Partner with other engineers and project personnel to design and develop mechanical subsystem level architectures.
- Interface across subsystem teams and disciplines to develop and implement technical solutions.
- Support the design and technical development, prototyping, testing and optimization of complex and advanced spaceflight hardware and configurations.
- Support trade studies, contribute to verification and validation (V&V) activities, and define, document, and manage technical requirements,
- interfaces, and other mechanical systems engineering products for spaceflight missions.
- Develop robust test campaigns to ensure the hardware is sound and ready for flight.
- Experience in the assembly, integration and/or test of aerospace flight hardware, for example as a mechanical engineer, electronic packaging engineer, test engineer, manufacturing engineer, or quality assurance engineer.
- Demonstrated knowledge of processes that are used to verify/validate the design requirements of systems.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or related technical discipline with a minimum of 3 years of related experience; Master’s degree in similar disciplines with a minimum of 1 year of related experience; or PhD in similar disciplines.
- Experience as a Flight Hardware Engineer, experience developing and delivering spaceflight hardware, or other relevant aerospace flight project experience.
- Experience with development or implementation of formal procedures and documentation relating to hardware.
- Experience related to the research, development, design, analysis, assembly, integration, test, or verification of mechanical engineering products.
- Experience within a multidisciplinary system engineering, product, or test team.
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Pasadena, CA, US
Application Deadline: N/A