Website Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company
As a Product Manager, you’ll be responsible for positioning products for profitable growth within state(s). This will include developing and implementing multi-year strategic plans and implementing processes related to financial planning, rate reviews, market development and communication of product management. Your work will support regional and corporate objectives through ongoing analysis and monitoring of results and communicating results with leadership, distribution and underwriting partners.
- Develops detailed product plan to achieve long- and short-term financial objectives (one to three years) for assigned state(s) and product(s) based on high-level corporate objectives.
- Provides input into rate, loss, revenue, financial and other planning teams to influence regional and national strategy. Builds and implements communication plans to share key business changes.
- Initiates action plans to improve or maintain product performance.
- Manages schedule to complete work within established time and service standards. May handle timelines and coordinate completion of project work through others. Plans work to ensure rate review and other key processes are completed to ensure speed to market.
- Consults with leadership and internal partners regarding analysis, ideas and business performance providing recommendations based on in-depth functional and regional knowledge.
- Supports partners through ongoing review and consultation on distribution and underwriting performance initiatives. Provides tools and analysis to establish understanding of complex issues and focus attention on meaningful concepts.
- Promotes teamwork among regional and staff partners to ensure alignment with the initiatives. Participates on projects and committees as a SME and provides consultation to research and development, pricing and training to provide regional perspective and expertise.
- Analyzes product performance and finds opportunities at state, line of business and agency level. Identifies and analyzes key product, performance and profitability drivers such as distribution, rate structure and rules performance to validate assumptions, identify adverse impacts, trends and solutions.
- Applies judgment, understanding and curiosity to data and provides high level analysis considering multiple complexities to build fully developed solutions. Analyzes and reviews financial results, product profitability, business mix and competitive information and forecasts performance. May coordinate the analysis of others to include larger reviews.
- Develops comprehensive product strategy for the state(s) for overall profitability using rate reviews, pricing, risk appetite, placement, timing, etc. Determines how to apply and implement strategic decisions in alignment with market strategies (agents, tools, sales, etc.).
- Influences decisions with internal and external partners at all levels that impact national plan and geographic responsibility.
- Gathers information from multiple internal and external sources according to company guidelines, including competitor filings to perform analysis.
- May require gathering verbal information from internal subject matter specialists or partners and data through reports or other external published or non-published electronic means.
- Provides and applies context and understanding of information to anticipate the multiple variables and complexities needed to research. May coordinate project/product research through others.
- License/Certification/Designation: Progress toward or completion of CPCU, AU CIC, INS ARM, actuarial exams or similar designations preferred.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in insurance, actuarial science, mathematics, risk management, economics, finance, accounting, business administration or related subject area or Masters of Business Administration degree preferred.
- Reporting Relationships: Reports to field product leader; up to two direct reports and no indirect reports.
- Other criteria, including leadership skills, proficiencies and experiences may take precedence.
- Experience: Eight years of experience in underwriting or product preferred. Cross-functional experience from other areas and experience with data analysis preferred.
- Knowledge, Abilities and Skills: Detailed knowledge of core business functions, and commercial lines insurance products and pricing architecture, state regulations, underwriting procedures and standard methodologies. Solid understanding of financials, trend analysis and competitor data.
- Proficiency in analytical tools, relational databases, data visualization techniques, query-based language and/or statistical software experience preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to present information, communicate and influence internal and external partners at all levels.
- Skilled in the use of related systems and analytical tools.
- Ability to drive for results, deal with ambiguity, solve problems, learn on the job, make quality decisions, see trends and patterns within data.
- Ability to manage projects, opposing priorities, timelines and resources to complete work. Strong organizational agility and political savvy preferred.
Company: Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Iowa, United States
Application Deadline: N/A