To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job duty exceptionally.. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
- Be familiar with all new products and services to be able to engage with guests regarding their features and benefits. Upon hiring, must complete Petco’s Positive Dog Training Instructor
- Program with a Petco Certified Dog Trainer Mentor and associated Petco onboarding within specified timeframe.
- Confidently perform all tasks & duties as outlined in the Dog Training Instructor Program (DTIP).
- Encompass excellent listening skills and able to effectively coach in an encouraging and motivating way by delivering points efficiently and easily. Ability to influence without authority and drive dog training results.
- Maintain ethical standards while working with dogs, pet parents, and all Pet Care Center partners.
- Develop training plans for pet parents and their dogs and work to increase the use of positive reinforcement and eliminate the use of punishment. Focus on providing positive training solutions and when it comes to unwanted behaviors, teach the dogs what we want them to so instead.
- Is effective in a variety of formal presentation settings and can capture attention, establish clear directions, and create a climate that motivates others.
- Work cross functionally with Pet Care Center partners to build strong community partnerships with strong to grow the dog training business.
- Promote the science based positive training philosophies of the Petco Positive Dog Training Program and ensure a safe dog training environment for pet parents, guests , dogs, and all Petco partners.
- Schedule and maintain dog training calendars to reflect current guidelines and minimum expectations.
- Maintain Dog Training area cleanliness and equipment per Operational guidelines and Policy and Procedures. This includes but is not limited to maintaining dog training barriers, seating, dog training kiosk and associated signage.
- Complete and maintain other training courses and acknowledgments as assigned.
- Must successfully complete Petco’s Positive Dog Training Instructor Program upon hiring, within established timelines
- Adhere to and promote established safety and loss prevention procedures.
- Provide quick and courteous service to all Petco guest customers by determining their needs and sharing product knowledge and dog training recommendations.
- Comfort level with technology and the ability to coach others on troubleshooting issues.
- Previous experience teaching positive reinforcement Dog Training techniques in group or class settings preferred
- High school diploma or GED is generally preferred.
- Background in public speaking, presenting, and facilitating a group.
- CPDT-KA or Karen Pryor Academy (KPA-CTP) certifications preferred.
- Possess basic computer skills with the ability to quickly research information from the Internet.
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Parlin, NJ, US
Application Deadline: N/A