Sappi Forests requires a Forester to implement and achieve the operational estate management, targets for fibre production within resource and SHEQ parameters to ensure a sustainable fibre supply.
- Prepare land & re-establish according to Planning’s recommendations for re-establishment (planting & coppice regeneration) to achieve Temporary Unplanted targets within budget constraints.
- Conduct interim inspections to monitor and ensure adherence to safety and Mill quality specifications.
- Ensure that a professional relationship with the contractor is maintained and that quality, delivery and compliance standards as set out in the job instruction system and service level agreement are adhered to.
- Use Fire Risk Management System (FRMS) to identify risks, record & implement fire control procedures.
- Inspect operations regularly (at least weekly) to identify risks & ensure the timeous action (blanking & pest control, coppice management).
- Manage the re-establishment to achieve maximum stocking within silvicultural standards.
- Implement the Annual Plan of Operations for both commercial and open areas, and ensure operations comply with standards and service level agreements.
- Protect crops from weed competition, pests and diseases by regular field inspections & the timing of operations to achieve maximum yields within cost constraints.
- Develop a pre-harvest plan and conduct a risk assessment per compartment in order to mitigate potential risks.
- Identify and ensure road & depot/sidings maintenance plans are communicated and implemented effectively.
- Ensure that company assets such as buildings, villages and company houses are maintained & managed effectively according to set standards within budget constraints.
- Ensure daily production targets are managed effectively and comply with legislative and company policies & procedures.
- Ensure that the vehicle fleet is maintained & managed according to the lease agreement, Sappi guidelines & budget. Ensure that relations with communities, other internal and external stakeholders are effectively maintained and managed in order to ensure company image is upheld, risks mitigated and relationships enhanced.
- Ensure all operations comply with service level agreement.
- Valid driver’s license.
- National Diploma in Forestry or Agriculture or Horticulture
- Up to 1 year relevant experience.
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Kwambonambi, KwaZulu-Natal, SA
Application Deadline: N/A