Website Sherwin Williams
The Plant Chemist is accountable for ensuring and improving product quality and production efficiency under minimal supervision. Strong formulation knowledge, manufacturing techniques, and statistical analysis skills are required to maintain local formulations, improve processing, and determine root causes and corrective actions on non-conformances.
- Identify and lead projects to improve overall hygiene at the site.
- Assist in determining disposition of distressed batches and identifying rework opportunities.
- Identify process and formula changes needed for successful manufacturing of existing formulas.
- Assist in giving guidance to Lab Technicians and coordinating training of new employees.
- Use Six Sigma methodologies to determine key areas of improvement to aid in reduced number of distressed batches and improved hygiene results.
- Ensure manufacturability through lab batches and following production batches as needed.
- Maintain local formulas in formulation system.
- Complete root cause documents as required.
- Identify process and quality problems to determine systematic root cause and follows through with corrective action.
- Perform routine paint and raw material testing as needed.
- Monitor all new production and communicates potential problems to Operations and Control Lab.
- Identify and leverage hygiene best practices
- Coordinate test batches with production and scheduling.
- Ensure that all data is entered into the hygiene database to maintain compliance to hygiene monitoring standards.
- Must have at least one (1) year of experience in a Chemistry function or completion of the GSC Accelerated Development program
- Experience with continuous improvement tools such as Transactional Lean or Six Sigma
- Must be legally authorized to work in country of employment without sponsorship now or in the future for employment visa status
- Must have a Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry, Engineering or Science discipline; or 4 years of Quality or R&D lab work experience
- Previous experience with paint and coatings formulations and processes
- Previous experience as a plant chemist
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Experience in a manufacturing environment
Company: Sherwin Williams
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Pittsburgh, PA, US
Application Deadline: N/A