Website Xcel Energy
Design and perform quantitative analysis to evaluate the impact of changes in the resource portfolio. Propose plans to optimize seasonal, monthly, balance-of-month, and daily resource commitment schedules and portfolio positions to provide the most economic operations of the power system portfolios.
- Design and perform quantitative studies to identify opportunities to increase optimization of existing resources. Support operations, planning, and risk management activities through evaluation of system capacity/energy requirements, future needs, and resource capabilities.
- Troubleshoot the daily operation of XE’s regulated electric operating companies and provide technical support to improve daily system operations.
- Assist Fuels in the determination of forward fuel requirements and the daily gas nomination process.
- Identify opportunities to improve system operations and reduce customer costs. Design and create analytical studies to model opportunities and determine costs/savings (rescheduling plant maintenance, alternative operating strategies for certain resources, etc.). Help plant operations personnel understand the market implications of plant operating decisions.
- Understand mechanical aspects of power plants and the potential optionality in the various power generation technologies. Understand electrical system constraints and operations.
- Create and run modeling scenarios to evaluate the efficiency of daily unit commitment, benefits of purchases and sales, and utilization of energy limited resources. Interpret results of modeling assignments and advise management. Verify the accuracy of results through extensive post-analysis of XE system performance.
- Review and verify short-term load forecasts, current plant/contract availability, fuel costs, and market conditions in analysis.
- Minimum 4 years experience in operating mathematical models, data mining, and analytics.
- An understanding of federal, state, and local regulatory issues and trends in the wholesale energy environment.
- Preference is given to those with at least 1 year of experience with generation costs modeling software such as Plexos, Aurora, Prosym, Promod, or Gentrader.
- Experience with technical writing.
- Prefer previous work experience in the electricity industry, including one year in energy commodity trading operations and knowledge of power plant operations.
- Bachelor’s degree in mathematics, engineering, applied sciences, or related fields.
Company: Xcel Energy
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Denver, CO, US
Application Deadline: N/A